Friday, June 24, 2005

About Qi and Spleen Qi Specifically

Someone posted on the uterinefibroids message board about having a watery light colored period.

I looked it up in The Infertility Cure by Randine Lewis and it says that this is a sign of a Spleen Qi deficiency. You are meant to "avoid sugar, refined carbohydrates, starches, dairy products, cold drinks and raw foods" to help restore the spleen (those things listed damage the spleen). There are herbs mentioned (ginseng is one) but those are best taken under guidance of a qualified herbalist.

Someone else was interested in what spleen qi was so I wrote this up and I thought you might be interested as well. I have spleen qi issues as well as I've mentioned.

Qi (pronounced chee and sometimes spelled chi) is most easily described
as energy. See this page for more about qi

Traditional Chinese Medicine recognizes channels or meridians in the body which are associated with different organs. One book I read described how this is so by explaining that from our early embryological development certain tissues developed in relationship to one another and from certain groups of cells. The body retains this memory and energetic map of the body throughout our lives.

This page describes more about the functions of each organ channel

Spleen qi refers to how well that channel is performing its functions of aiding in digestion (transformation of food to energy and blood specifically) and control of the blood.

Here's more about the Spleen

Here's a map of the spleen channel on one side of the body, it is on
both sides in the same places.

I've been amazed at what they have been able to treat in me over the past year, things which Western medicine don't even recognize as problems, such as: feeling full of cold water; slightly swollen glands gone in seconds; inflamed back gone in minutes; a subtle ache across my stomach yesterday which turned out to be very blocked channel that was painful to open up but I feel much better now (I'm going through a miscarriage right now so my body was quite out of sorts and Tylenol wasn't helping at all in the end).

Herbs, acupuncture, movement such as qi gong which is like tai chi or any exercise really, plus the foods we eat, how we think/feel all affect the qi.

No comments: