Thursday, January 13, 2005

Fertility Enhancing Diets

I just posted some general tips here but note that while these tips work for both men and women, but there are some additional supplements that each gender should have such as selenium for men and iron for women:

Diet Tips
Dietary changes will depend on your individual constitution but generally these are good things to do and will help with your general health as well as your reproductive health -- I've read a lot of books over the past couple years about hormone balance, fertility, stress, fibroids, and alternative medicine:

Increase consumption of leafy greens -- these help your body with hormone balance and production and contain calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamin d plus folic acid all of which are excellent for your fertility and the combination of them is easier for your body to digest.

Cut out simple sugars -- don't eat sweets and cut back on simple carbs as well as these foods are just empty calories and lack nutritional value. Too much sugar can affect your immune system and increase stress on your adrenals and all cells throughout your body. Have a piece of fruit instead. My acupuncturist has told me that even fruit juices contain too much sugar unless diluted.

Increase dietary fiber -- this helps to get rid of excess estrogen which takes a burden off of your liver.

Increase healthy fats in your diet -- more unsaturated fats and less saturated and hydrogenated fats.

Increase anti-oxidents -- Vitamin E and Vitamin C both help to fix cellular damage and heal tissues.

Cut out caffeine -- another adrenal stressor and can impede fertility.

Cut back on dairy -- we're not baby cows and the calcium in cow milk isn't easily absorbed without magnesium (and Vit D but they add that in). This is more controversial, my doctor told me that I would need a lot of calcium if I got pg but my acupuncturist says that the milk causes pelvic congestion and I got pregnant after following his directions and not after following my MDs so I've made up my mind. I just have a little dairy when I'm craving it.

Eat organic, whole foods as much as possible -- Processed foods and regular animal products are full of additives and chemicals which interfere with the endocrine system.

Here are some books you might want to refer to for more information about fertility/diet/hormonal and reproductive health:

Healing with Whole Foods

The Infertility Cure The author hosts fertility retreats and has a website with some recipes on it.

Healing Fibroids

Thyroid Power

Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements

Inconceivable -- I haven't read it but it is supposed to be hardcore into diet and lifestyle changes. The author has a website with some recipes on it: http://www.fertileheart.com/foods/p.fd.soups.html

3 comments:

Victoria said...

This is an amazing blog. You've put so much information here, I can't even begin to take it all in. I found it while surfing Blogger and hope you don't mind me reading back a ways.

In fact, I'd like to post about your blog on my blog. I've been trying to connect bloggers since our mutual host only provides us with a clumsy "Next Blog" button. I started http://get-it-together.blogspot.com a few days ago, and its my mission to get the good blogs I find posted there. I think there are lots of women out there who would find your work both useful and fascinating. But since it is not just informative, because it is so personal, I wanted to ask your permission first. Just post your answer below my comment and I'll check back later.

I want to wish you the best of luck with everything. I'm sure all your hard work and devotion will pay off in the most miraculous ways =).

agness said...

it's okay if you want to link to it. I'm still in the process of adding in my miscarriage posts from last summer and I'll keep adding more from my posts made online prior to that as well. I'm putting it out there so hopefully it will help others as well. Then it makes my experience more *worthwhile* if you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Wow this is a great post! I was just reading about diet and fertility and there's a lot of overlap! Check it out: http://fertilitytesting.co.uk/infertility/natural/diet-and-fertility.html