Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Two years ago when we were starting to TTC I was having some odd spotting around ovulation or so. It wasn't normal for me and yet it kind of fit the description of ovulatory spotting from TCOYF. A couple months later I was having pelvic pain and my doctor found a fibroid. I then switched to a naturopathic doctor for treatment and the spotting stopped. She had the full basic hormone work done, but not the CD 21 progesterone test. I had to change my diet, my stress level, my lifestyle to help my body to be healthy. I was on herbal supplements for several months as well and on iron to help combat anemia that was hanging around for years.

At the beginning of this year I started seeing an acupuncturist and he helped balance my hormones further. It was a little ouchy at times but amazing. I think he helped even my cycles more than anyone I have cycles that are so regular.

I also saw 3 REs and had more hormonals tests, an HSG, and several u/s (for my fibroid). I have to say that the combination of alternative therapies combined with traditional western medicine helped me to feel like I had all bases covered. I talked to a lot of docs because they wanted me to have surgery and I didn't want it (for the fibroid). Talking to lots of different practitioners was really valuable, though time-consuming. My insurance covered all but the co-pay but that fibroid was helpful in validating the consultations.

Doctors gave us miniscule odd of conceiving on our own but we did it. I think acupuncture had a lot to do with it.

Here is a link to a page that references many studies about acupuncture for use in fertility issues:
http://www.easternharmonyclinic.com/medart/medart.html

No comments: