Thursday, February 10, 2005

To a woman wanting to try the natural route with a large fibroid...

I tried the natural route and had some success with acupuncture and chinese medicine. But, when I did finally get pregnant my fibroid doubled in size. You think you are uncomfortable now, just wait as 80% of fibroids will grow during pregnancy.

I really think you should have it out, as scary as that might seem. After they get larger than 4cm they have a hard time getting rid of them through alternative therapy, though I'm sure there are exceptions. It is only because you are already uncomfortable that I'm telling you to have a myo, not every woman with fibroids has ones large enough, or positioned in way that set them out on a bad footing for pregnancy and yours sounds like mine.

I had mine removed in November and it was the size of a grapefruit (ack!) It is a big relief to have the fibroid out of there. Just the psychological stress of managing this fibroid that was going to keep doing its thing was a big burden. When I thought about getting pregnant with it in place again I just about had a panic attack, it was really uncomfortable and mine didn't have any degeneration.

I wish they would give out MRIs more easily as I think if I had seen how it was really positioned I might have had the surgery sooner. My fibroid was located right up against, but not engaging with, the endometrium. I don't regret waiting though since my miscarriage experience helped prepare me mentally for the surgery.

Here are some quotes from Johanna Skilling's book Fibroids about how fibroids can contribute to infertility:

"If a fibroid causes a miscarriage it's more likely to happen in the first or second trimester; in fact, fibroids can cause miscarriage so early on, you migh not even realize you are pregnant. Later in pregnancy, fibroids tend to cause pain or preterm contractions rather than miscarriage"

"How can fibroids cause miscarriage?...either by distorting the uterine cavity or by altering the blood flow that would normally be needed to nourish the growing fetus."

"Fibroids can release chemicals called prostaglandins, the hormone that triggers pain...Prostaglandins can also induce contractions of smooth-muscle tissue"

"...the cells of a fibroid divide faster than the "normal" cells in your body...This rapid cell division can trigger a response from your immune system--sending the body's natural defenses to try to deal with the perceived invader. This reaction is bad news for another "alien" in your body -- your fertilized egg."

No comments: