Thursday, July 22, 2004

Why does it seem like there isn't any information about what happens when you miscarry, not the clinical stuff but the physical stuff.

When I left work yesterday I was feeling a bit woozy so I bought a bottle of water before I met a friend visiting from out of town. We then walked to a pub and I felt like laying down but I decided to be a trooper and push through it. I drank about 36 ounces of water over the next few hours and got incredibly bloated. I remembered that the hypothalmus helps control our cycles and also is involved in managing how much water is in our systems -- its what decides when you have to pee. I figure that my brain and endocrine system is starting to make some big adjustments but I was so swollen. My skin felt hot, my breasts had shooting pains, I had a headache and my hearing was weird -- everything sounded hollow.

We took a cab home and I got in bed and took my temp with has been over 100 since last night and was over 101 for several hours. I ache all over, my back and neck and legs in particular -- sort of like when I get the flu. This morning I also had some intense cramps and my heaviest bleeding so far of dark menstrual blood but it isn't really heavy compared to my period.

My partner called the doc this morning and they say this is normal and expected. I can understand why reorganizing my body to shift functions away from the pregnancy is a big deal I just didn't know I would feel like I had been hit by a truck.

Is my experience so far similar to yours? Is each miscarriage its own deal? This is a fairly cruel process overall but I guess that's the way the equipment works. I just makes it even harder that we don't get to have a baby and instead have to go through this.

No comments: