Monday, July 19, 2004

I'm back and I survived. Overall I have to say it was a relief to finally have this d&c done. I think it was all the prayers that helped make this easier for me. Thank you!

My doctor was great, so careful and conservative. He definitely has a lot of experience working in that area. The nurses were awesome; they were so nice and caring. The procedure was done in the operatory suite where they retrieve eggs for IVF patients. The nurses gave me warmed blankets over my shoulders and stomach and kept my legs and feet warm with towels as well.

Having had a more than typically painful HSG last year, I think that I was better prepared for the sensations which were similar but just more and longer. When I had my HSG the RE tried to help stretch out my uterus for better films, the uterus being wrapped around the fibroid. She did this by pressing the speculum in different directions which pulled on the ligaments I guess. I had cramps for days afterwards. I also have periodic pelvic pain from my fibroid so again, this wasn't shocking to me. If I had never had any such discomfort in my life it probably would have been worse. The nurses and doctor all said that I was a great patient with a good pain tolerance. They asked if I did yoga, I told them that I danced -- I think they were amazed that I could sit in stirrups for so long as it took a while for us to get started.

The worst thing was that it took 3 tries to get the IV started and I left the hospital with bandages on both arms.

My partner was there in with me the entire time which was a great relief, more than I would have supposed. Once the sedatives kicked in I kept babbling on and on about all kinds of things although mostly about how odd this experience was.

Yesterday afternoon I came home and took a nap on the couch for a while. Then my sister and one of my best friends came over and spent time with me for a few hours. my partner and I walked down the street for a late dinner at 9pm. I mostly felt tired.

I feel a little crampy today and I've had just a minor amount of spotting so far. My temp was a little elevated this morning so I'll keep an eye on that. It might just be my thyroid trying to adjust itself at this point.

I actually have less pelvic pain now than I did before the procedure, I think that is because of my fibroid already distending the uterus. My breasts are also starting to soften slightly -- yippee! My doc is still cool with me TTC with the fibroid intact. I did find out that he is leaving the hospital to go out on his own at the end of the month. He'll only be 30 minutes away in Everett, WA but still I'm bummed since that is a hike and it took so long to find someone I like and trust.

I have some tears trapped inside of me still, I know they will come out sooner or later but I'm doing pretty good over all. A little numb maybe but I feel like a survivor.

No comments: