Thursday, September 15, 2005

Stuff about Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis

[I'm always searching out weird topics so I thought I would share this recent post]

I met the author of the book Eating for IBS once a few years ago and thought she had an interesting perspective on how to manage IBS and other diseases of the bowels using diet. You can visit her site here:

HelpforIBS.com

I don't have this condition but it's totally plausible to me that diet/lifestyle/medications were contributory causes. It isn't a normal, healthy, homeostasis condition. Here are some other links that you might find interesting:

small-bowel bacterial overgrowth(SBBO)

Bacterial Overgrowth Syndrome

Breaking the Vicious Cycle - The Specific Carbohydrate Diet

Cultured Cabbage Juice - Make the Best Lactobacteria

I've also found reference to birth control pills sometimes being a factor -- making the condition worse or better, which seems to indicate a hormonal contribution as well. Knowing that progesterone relaxes smooth muscle tissue and changes the way our bodies deal with blood sugar levels, it isn't so far fetched that hormones coud affect all aspect of our system.

Crohn's Disease and UC came up while I was searching for information on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as well. Do a search for more information though, the terms "crohn's disease chronic fatigue" turned up a bunch of interesting results.

No comments: