Monday, October 25, 2004

What should I do?

So I still have retained POC (products of conception) from my miscarriage in July. It is likely that my fibroid has contributed to this situation by not allowing my uterus to contract as well as it might (8x10cm intramural fibroid, uterus wrapped around fibroid). My RE wants to go in with a hysteroscope to aid in the removal of the 2x3cm piece of tissue in my endometrium -- the fibroid doesn't allow for a very clear image of what is there.

She mentioned that while I'm under she could remove my fibroid as well. It isn't the largest fibroid that she's operated on, but it isn't small either. She thinks that if I have the surgery done now I should be all right to travel to Ecuador for Christmas -- about 6 weeks post-op -- to go on a birding tour.

My fibroid hasn't shrunk at all since August, though it is smaller than the largest measurement right before my d&c of 9x11x11cm or so. On the day I got my BFP it measured 6.5x7 -- so it is now twice as large and I'm feeling it everyday.

Tthis RE does surgery twice a week only and I like her, she's been practicing since 1983 and does on average one myo a month -- but she's regularly doing reproductive surgeries. I'm feeling pretty good about her and she said that she would consider my desire for a vaginal birth as she did the surgery.

If you were going to be put under right now for another procedure would you opt to have your large fibroid removed as well?

No comments: