Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I haven't posted here so much in a while, I was off of NPC (natural progesterone cream) for a while during my acupuncture treatment for my uterine fibroid. I did have a positive pregnancy though and my RE had me use progesterone suppositories. Last week I found out that we have a blighted ovum so I stopped using the progesterone. I thought I would add my experiences with being on it and off of it in higher doses just to help add to the information pool.

The week I found out I was pg, several days after AF was due I was having a lot of light contractions in my pelvis. My progesterone tested at 18.4 ng/ml at 18dpo (I think it was). I used my Emerita for a few days until the Rx was filled (prescription was lost at first - argh!) and that helped keep the cramps under control.

I started using the suppositories (50mg) as directed, twice a day when going to bed and before I got up in the morning; about 20 mins before I was advised by the nurse and I shouldn't worry about it after that since that was about all my body would absorb so she had heard from the pharmacist. Vaginal progesterone suppositories aren't fun, they melted for hours and added to the discharge so I had to wear a pantyliner at least and they might still leak onto underwear and clothing.

I thought my pg symptoms were really crazy how strong they were -- sore, sore breasts, bloated belly, mood swings, my head felt like it was full of cotton, nausea daily (mostly felt like motion sickness coming on)... Now that I'm off the progesterone I have to say that I feel sooo much better and more like myself. I haven't had any cramping really since I've been off the suppositories, my breasts are still sensitive but not quite so "punchy", and my belly is more normal.

I stopped using the progesterone cold turkey in the hopes that it would help my body realize that the pg wasn't progressing but no such luck. My temps are still up in the AM (around 98.6), no sign of anything vaguely looking like spotting or cramping.

My fibroid feels enlarged but until my uterus isn't swollen by the pg anymore I can't tell really about any growth. I didn't have any constipation problems from being on that much progesterone, actually after I stopped it my digestive system was totally blocked feeling and it's taken every diet trick in the book to get things moving again (sorry if TMI).

So, my experience with higher doses than we use for topical treatment is that progesterone is really strong stuff. (and don't put it anywhere near your breasts as I learned months ago, that will make them blow up like balloons and hurt like the dickens -- although I had the same reaction with the higher dose suppositories).

No comments: