Sunday, September 17, 2006

When/how to tell employEEs that I'm pregnant

I'm pushing 18 weeks now and I haven't told anyone at work that I'm pregnant. I work mostly with men and they don't seem to notice, I dress carefully and I'm not showing so much yet.

My hang up is that I don't want to be treated differently. I'm okay being a pregnant woman outside of work but within the work context it just isn't something I want to make a big deal of.

I also have to factor in that this will create some lack of certainty possibly for my employees -- perceived or otherwise. I don't want to just have it be all about me and have them feel like I'm abandoning them.

My partner (also business partner) thinks I should just casually, when appropriate, mention that I will be taking a few months off starting in February. First though we are trying to staff up my replacements so I have time to train them. We are recruiting actively but it's hard to find qualified help who are a good fit.

When and how would you tell people you are pg if you are the boss?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to send you a hug and let you know I'm checking in on you every few days. I'm sorry about that awful interaction with your SIL. I think she REALLY doesn't get where you are coming from at all. Although I do remember the pain of IF, sometimes I even find myself saying or thinking "dumb fertile" things. Becoming a mommy has really "cured" a lot of the pain of IF, so sometimes I think like a fertile woman. I can't even imagine how worlds apart she is from you. Take good care of yourself - you will know how best to deal with her. You are a very wise woman. More hugs to you.