Wednesday, December 10, 2003

My Reasons for Not Wanting a Myo

Here are my reasons for not wanting a myomectomy:

1. major abdominal surgery
2. risk of adhesions
3. length of recovery period
4. fact that with multiple factors there isn't a documented increase
in fertility
5. they would require me to deliver by c-section if I did get pregnant post myo
6. that I'm largely asymptomatic except for slightly heavier periods and some pelvic pain for a few days prior to ovulation and at the start of my period

We don't even know if we want to do any assisted reproductive therapy anyway, we went to the reproductive endocrinologists (RE) to get their opinion on our situation (my partner had a vasectomy reversal and has an issue with sperm morphology -- morphology refers to shape of the sperm). It was just kind of intense having the head of reproductive endocrinology at a leading university tell you that he consulted with all of the other REs and they've decided they don't want to be my friend.

I've always wanted to go the natural way -- I was never on birth control pills, don't eat junk food really, stay fit. I don't like it when the medical establishment says (in its Terminator voice) "you are infertile. we will cut you open and remove that fibroid. take these drugs and we will harvest your eggs and MAKE you pregnant."

Now I don't know how the rest of you feel but I'm not feeling like I want to go out on a limb with any procedure since I would feel worse if I didn't feel like my care providers were on my side. I guess I will continue doing my watch and wait routine and in the meantime at least take advantage of the MRI order from the RE so I can learn more about what's inside of me. Maybe God or the Universe will intervene in the meantime.

No comments: