Sunday, September 06, 2009

I believe less than 10 days is considered a short LP. Your body needs at least that amount of time for the lining to be in the correct alignment for implantation.

I'm breastfeeding and TTC#2. Breastfeeding is all about the hormone prolactin, which suppresses estrogen and progesterone production, and increases FSH. It is common while breastfeeding to have delayed ovulation and a short LP.

One herbal treatment option is to use Vitex, which adjusts the amount of prolactin in your system.

I've read that too much stress can also elevate the prolactin level, as can too much sex (go figure). Trying to reduce the amount of stress on one's body is a multi-faceted endeavor - including significant diet and lifestyle changes.

Another approach is to try acupuncture/TCM, which can adjust your hormone levels, but TCM will also require diet and lifestyle changes.

Someone I know had short cycles and she opted to try Clomid and that worked for her. She made no lifestyle changes, but the she had a rough time while she was pg with hyperemesis gravidarum and the baby had intrauterine growth restriction and had to be born early by c/s. I wonder if she tried a different, more healing approach for her body if she wouldn't have had a better, healthier time during pg.


Anonymous said...

Hi Agness, just discovered your blog. Was hoping for some advise. I am 36 weeks with my first baby. I had an abdominal myomectomy in 2005 which was 12x10cm, 350cc and pedunculated. I am meeting with my Obs this coming week to d/c birth options. Did you have a elective c section because of the risks of uterine rupture? My gyno told me in 2005 that any future preg would result in a c section. But i had been hoping that time would heal all wounds so to speak, and I could try for a natural labour. Ultimately its about a labour safe for bub and safe for me, and dont want to trial labour and end up with emergency c section. Can you shed you thoughts. It seems really hard to find info on this topic anywhere. Christine- Adelaide Australia.

agness said...

Hi Christine,

Yes, I had a c-section due to the risk of uterine rupture. I struggled right after my myomectomy to see if there was some way I might be able to do a vaginal delivery but when I evaluated all the information I could find, and then factored it against my experience with infertility, it became a lot clearer that this was the correct path for me.

My fibroid was really large when they removed it and it was intramural, but all the way inside the wall and up against the endometrium. They really had to cut all the way through the wall.

The statistics show about 9-12% chance of uterine rupture for having had a prior incision in the upper part of the uterus. That's about 1 in 10 which isn't really great odds of having no issue. Also, if things go wrong the baby could die, you could die and if not you could end up with a hysterectomy.

It was also something another post-myo mama told me that really made me settle down. She told me that after everything that she had gone through - infertility, miscarriage, surgery -- at the end of the day just having a healthy baby was really the sole aim.

I hope you find your answer. With a pendunculated fibroid it might be a different story.