Saturday, March 06, 2004

About Keloid Prevention Post Surgery

When I was facing surgery I was freaked by the prospect of having a
scar; I did cancel my surgery so I've not had to deal with that yet. My father who went to medical school told me that they use steroid shots in the scar, even a year or two later and it can help soften the scar and make it less noticible. It is mentioned in the first article link below as the oldest treatment but it does have some drawbacks.

You probably are looking for anectodotal things that others have experienced but at the very least here are a few links for you to look at. You should talk to your doctor, and if your surgeon isn't interested in treating you then you might consider seeing a dermatologist or plastic surgeon instead. I don't know how that kind of post-op care works with the myo surgeon, plastic surgeons specialize in minimizing scarring though. Maybe others could offer more informed advice.

Keloid and Hypertrophic Scar

Keloids And Hypertrophic Scars - AOCD

Keloid

Treatment of Hypertrophic Scars and Keloids: A Multi-faceted Approach

Prevention of Hypertrophic Scars and Keloids by the Prophylactic Use of Topical Silicone Gel Sheets Following a Surgical Procedure in an Office Setting

No comments: